- 1/4 cup canned chipotle chiles in adobo (more if you want it spicier)
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 garlic cloves, pressed
– 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
– 1 tablespoon paprika
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon chili powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
– Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1. Combine chipotles in adobo, olive oil, and garlic cloves in processor; puree until paste forms. Add chopped onion, chopped cilantro, paprika, ground cumin, chili powder, and salt; process until onion is finely chopped. Transfer 1/4 cup chipotle mixture to small bowl; cover and refrigerate.
2. Arrange chicken pieces in single layer in a glass baking dish. Spread remaining chipotle mixture all over chicken pieces. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3a. Grilled: Spray grill rack with nonstick spray. Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Grill chicken until cooked through, moving to cooler part of grill as needed to prevent burning and brushing with reserved marinade during last 5 minutes of grilling, about 30 minutes. Transfer chicken to platter and serve.
3b. Baked/Broiled: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and place broiling rack on top. Spray rack with nonstick spray. Place chicken in single layer on rack and bake 45-50 min until juices run clear from chicken, flipping once halfway through cooking.
Change oven to broil, flip chicken pieces so they are skin-side up and broil until skin is crisp, 3-5 min. Transfer to platter and enjoy!