- Pie crust (homemade or prepackaged, rolled into 9-in pie plate, chilled for at least 30 min)
– 3 cups mixed berries, fresh, frozen or both
– 1/2 tbsp corn starch
– 2 tbsp good balsamic vinegar
– 1/4 cup water
– 10 tbsp sugar, divided
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
– pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine berries, corn starch, vinegar, water and 4 tbsp sugar. Let stand for 30 min.
2. In a food processor, pulse together flour, butter, salt and remaining 6 tbsp sugar until mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Do not over-mix or it will become a pastry. Place in fridge until ready to use.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer berry mixture to prepared pie dish, sprinkle with crumble and bake until top is golden, about 60 min.
4. Serve warm or room temperature with vanilla ice cream.